There I was, cuddling with five friends on a large sofa when I had a thought.
Why do I make enjoying life so complicated?
I thought about how often I miss the little things that make a big difference, so I can chase the big things that make a little difference. Then I realized I’d better get back to cuddling so I forgot all about it.
Fortunately, the next day I was doing some writing and decided to make a list. Here are some of my favorite ways to make life better, with a little help from my Facebook friends.
- Think of someone you enjoy spending time with, call them and make plans to meet.
- Look over your calendar from the last few months. Repeat the activities you enjoyed the most.
- Set a stop watch and do nothing for 10 minutes.
- Call an old friend from school and ask about their life.
- Become a Big Brother or Big Sister (not simple, but incredibly rewarding).
- Organize a family reunion.
- Invite a group of friends over to play board games.
- Print and frame a picture of yourself and send it to your Mom.
- Listen to a song you used to love and haven’t heard in years.
- Take a hot bath.
- Quit holding your farts.
- Install a bidet hose on your toilet.
- Send this knock knock joke to someone.
- Organize a dinner party with friends.
- Ask five of your closest friends to tell you what they love most about you.
- Listen to great podcasts while driving. Here are some of my favorites.
- Write down 5 things you love about yourself.
- Check the tour schedule for your favorite bands and artists and write down the dates they will be in your town.
- Take yourself on a date to your favorite restaurant.
- Pee when you have to pee.
- Make a mix tape for someone and send it to them.
- Plan a totally electronic-free weekend.
- Teach a workshop on a skill you have that other people envy.
- Ask your parents what they were like when they were your age.
- Look up a new food recipe and try making it.
- Listen to James Brown.
- Give yourself a neck massage.
- Do a finger painting.
- Go to a thrift store and buy a quirky gift for a friend.
- Share this post with someone you love.